How I became an Occupational Therapist

Christian Medical College, Vellore


Many people have asked me about how I chose Occupational Therapy as a career, what led me to Occupational Therapy, which was quite unheard of in the mid 90s.

I grew up in an era, yes, the mid 90s like I said, where Medicine (MBBS) and Engineering where the most popular (read as ONLY) options for students after their 12th grade. Being born and raised in a typical upper middle class Malayalee family, those were my options too, especially as I was believed to be a promising student. 

To be honest, I had other ideas in my head. The oldest ambition I can remember (on the professional route), is my wish to become a Teacher. Why? because all my teachers at Carmel School, Kuwait were pretty, they were beautifully dressed, were friendly with the students and I used to admire them.

As I grew older, my ambitions stretched a bit in all directions that at different stages of my childhood I wanted to be an Air Hostess, a Lawyer, a Detective, a Psychologist and more, that I don't want to go into there!! Well, there wasn't much career counselling and stuff back then, so after my 10th grade I moved into the Science stream because my ambitions had narrowed down to the medical field. I wanted to be a Dentist like my late grandfather, and my second choice was, a Doctor. And then came entrance exam coaching. 

Towards the end of my coaching period I met a relative who was asking me what my plans were. It was she who asked me if I wanted to try Occupational Therapy. I had no clue what that was. It sounded to me like some employment counselling training, and I flatly said NO. Soon enough, the entrance exam coaching came to an end and I was preparing for the real test. Apart from the All India Medical Entrance and the Kerala Medical Entrance, I had also opted for the test to get into Christian Medical College, Vellore. Like any other application, I had to tick off my choices. CMC Vellore had not Dentistry course, but they did have Medicine. Some weird sense in me stopped me from ticking the MBBS box. "If I am destined to be a Doctor, I will get through either of the other exams", I thought, and I ticked 'Occupational Therapy'. Just that! Why?? Because I hadn't heard much of it (I only knew it was a stream of rehabilitation) and I expected many other too, to not know about what this is. So, if that was the case, nobody would choose it and that increases my chance. Well, this was the kind of twisted thought I had.

Long story short, I got the interview call, for Occupational Therapy. Only Occupational Therapy! No MBBS, no nothing! I was one among 10 (we had only 10 per batch), chosen from around 7000 applicants (I learnt later), shortlisted at many stages, to study at one of the best medical colleges in India. It took me few weeks to have my excitement and enjoyment of the new stream of lessons to turn into love for the subject, and there was no turning back.

I didn't choose Occupational Therapy....Occupational Therapy chose me!

....and today I stand at the other end of 20 years (and counting) of being an Occupational Therapist, ever so proud!

My classmates and I/ First year OT
Me on my Graduation Day





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handwriting - Good vs Bad

Is that an Occupational Therapist's job?